If you have been arrested with driving under the influence (DUI), it is a very scary experience and you are not alone. Nearly 300,000 people drive under the influence of alcohol every day. Only 4,000 of these drivers are caught. This is according to statistics by Mothers Against Drinking and Driving (MADD). By the time most drivers are arrested for the first time, they have done this 80 times. A person is injured every two minutes in a crash involving a drunk driver. If you are in this situation, you should start talking to DUI lawyers.
1. Talk to the people in your life that you trust. Given the number of people who are arrested for this offense every year, there is a very good chance that you either know someone who has talked to DYU lawyers or know someone who knows someone who has. The best way to find decent goods and services is to get a personal recommendation by someone you know and trust. While you may not end up going with the same person your friend or family member hired but it will give you a place to start.
2. Do an online search. There are a lot of DUI lawyers online. This can be a powerful tool to look for names of DUI attorneys in your area. This should include more than just a Google search. There are a few professional organizations such as NOLO and the American Bar Association have information about all kinds of attorneys such as DUI lawyers. If you have the names of some lawyers, looking them up online is one way to get more information about them. Note that if you find a bunch of negative comments that are left anonymously. People are much more likely to complain than compliment especially if they can do it anonymously.
3. Interview at least three law firms. All law firms offer free consultations to prospective clients. This is a good chance for you to get to know them and for then to better evaluate your case. This is the way they find clients and conduct business. This means you should take your time with the process. Spend some time with each law firm and really listen to what they tell you.
4. Ask the right questions. When you talk to the DUI lawyers, you are effectively doing a job interview and need to be thorough. You need to ask these questions:
- What made you pick this specialty? You want someone who will really fight for you. You do not want someone twho does not have their heart in their job.
- How long have you practiced this kind of law?
- What percentage of your practice is spent on DUI cases?
- What do you think of my case?
- Have you worked on cases similar to mine?
- What was the outcome?
- Who will be working on my case? Law firms hire an assortment of legal experts such as legal assistants, legal secretaries and paralegals, you should at least know the people who will be working on your case and for you.
- What is your fee? You want the best lawyer you can find but you also need to be able to afford them.
Do I need to pay upfront or can I work out a payment plan?
5. Think about how well you get along with the DUI attorney. When you are talking to the lawyers, think about how you feel about confiding in them. They do not have to become your best friend but you need to be able to talk to them and be completely honest with them. They cannot help you if you cannot.
Being arrested for DUI may make you feel like your life is over but it is not. You will get through this part of your life. The right DUI lawyers can help with the legal part of that and your support network can help with the rest. When you are going through the process of interviewing DUI lawyers, you may be tempted to go with the first DUI law firm you talk to but this is not your best plan. Finding the right lawyer can make all the difference in your case.
Trackback from your site.