Workers Compensation Law How to Determine When You Should Hire an Attorney

Most of the time, being in a position where you need workers compensation is not ideal. After all, it likely means that you have been injured in some way, which most people do not enjoy. However, it is definitely a good thing that workers compensation exists, as no one wants to have to pay for an injury that they acquired when they were working, which directly takes money out of whatever they’ve earned at work.

If you want to learn more about workers compensation, it is understandable that you might have many questions. For example, you might wonder, where can I find a good workers compensation lawyer? Where can I learn all about workers compensation? How do I apply for workers comp exemption? Who is a good person to go to if I have a lot of compensation questions? How long does it take to file a claim workers compensation? After I have filed the claim, how long will it take to actually get workers compensation? Most of the time, a workers compensation attorney will be able to answer these questions for you. It would also be a good idea for you to do your own research before talking to an attorney.

Work related injuries

America is a nation that was founded on the principle of hard work and earning one’s keep. For this reason our nation has developed one of the strongest work ethics in the world. With all the work that the American workforce puts into their labor, one would expect gratitude from their employer — unfortunately this is not always the case, especially when there is an injury on the job.

Injuries on the Job

In 2013 there were 327,060 sprains, strains, and tears; 229,190 slip, trip, and fall injuries, and 170,450 back injuries sustained on the job. That same year there were an estimated 917,100 occupational injuries and illnesses that actually resulted in some time off from work. On average, male and female workers in the United States missed around 8 days of work because of such injuries. In many cases, employers will acknowledge that the employee was injured doing their job and that it is the employers obligation to offer workers compensation to help support the employee through the injury.

Receiving Workers Compensation

In 2011, state and federal workers compensation laws covered roughly 125.8 million employees; today nearly three-quarters of all U.S. states require that an employer offer workers compensation to employees. Those who receive workers compensation receive 100% coverage for medical costs as well as cash benefits for lost work time after a three to seven day waiting period. Of those compensation costs, wages and salaries make up around 70% while benefits make u the remaining 30%. Although one would expect workers compensation to be freely given to employees that are injured on the job, there are certain cases where an individual may want to pursue a workers compensation claim against their employer.

When Should You Hire a Workers Compensation Attorney?

There are several circumstances where one ought to consider hiring a workers compensation lawyer, the most frequent of which is when an employer denies an employee’s workers compensation claim or when the employee fails to receive their benefits promptly. In some cases the employer’s settlement is simply not sufficient to cover all of the employee’s lost wages or medical bills. In the worst of cases, the injuries sustained on a job may actually prevent an employee from returning to their prior job or from performing any work at all — this is where workers compensation attorneys are especially needed. In some cases, a boss may even retaliate against an employee for filing a workers compensation claim; this is a form of workplace discrimination that ought to be resolved with the aid of a professional workers compensation attorney. If you or someone you know was seriously injured on the job and are not receiving the compensation you deserve, consider contacting a workers comp attorney to get the benefits you are entitled to.

Leave a Reply

Are You The Victim Of A Work-Related Injury Or Illness? A Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Can HelpAre You The Victim Of A Work-Related Injury Or Illness? A Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Can Help



Have you been hurt during work and are in need of compensation? Do you suspect you may have been the victim of discrimination and are searching for legal options? Turn to the aid of a worker compensation lawyer, a professional that works directly in the field of workers compensation claims