People never really want to need to file a workers compensation claim or talk to a workers comp attorney but many people do. Eight million people go to the emergency room every year because of an injury they received in a fall. That makes falls the leading cause of injuries that need emergency care. Approximately 21.3% emergency room visits are from falls. At least 12% of all falls are actually slip and fall accidents. These are also a big reason for workers compensation cases. They comprise about 85% of all workers compensation cases. If you have been injured in such an accident, you may not think that you need a lawyer but the average workers compensation settlement is higher when an attorney is involved.
- Workers comp attorney fees are less than you may think. A lot of people think they should go it alone when they need to file a workers compensation claim because they worry that it will cost a lot to hire a lawyer. At the end of the day, it is very cost effective to get help from a workers compensation attorney. Most of the time, they do not get paid until their client gets their settlement. The amount of the average workers compensation settlement is much higher when an attorney has helped with it than when someone does everything themselves. Usually the lawyer’s fees are a percentage of the total settlement and the amount of work they do for their clients makes it worth it.
- They know how much you should receive. Often, insurance companies low ball how much a worker normally makes each week. This is one of the most important considerations to make when dealing with workers compensation settlement calculator. Most insurance companies will take what they think the worker was making each week and base the settlement, at least partly, on that figure. It is possible to lose thousands of dollars over the course of the time you are receiving checks without the help of a lawyer. In fact, undervaluing a worker’s wages is one of the biggest reasons the average workers compensation settlement is lower for people who do not have legal representation.
- They will protect your rights. The workers compensation laws are different from state to state. Moreover, the rules and regulations that govern these laws’ implementation change all of the time. When you talk to a workers compensation lawyer, they know your rights and will work to protect them. Some companies will claim that they do not have to pay out for a workers compensation settlements back injury because that was a pre-existing condition, even when the evidence is clear that there has been a back injury on the job. In order to make sure your settlement gets you everything you are entitled to, you need an experienced workers compensation attorney by your side.
- They can handle your appeal. Despite having all the evidence on your side, there is a very good chance that your first workers compensation claim will be rejected when it is first evaluated. That is unfortunate but is to be expected. The good news is that your experienced and expert workers compensation lawyer will be able to help you deal with that. This is not a reason to give up on your claim but is a reason to have an experienced legal processional by your side to help with your appeal.
- They can gather the evidence as needed. There are times when it is clear that your injury was sustained at work and when you are on the job. There are a decent number of workers compensation claims that occur while a worker is on the clock but not at the place of business. A delivery driver can slip and fall while making a delivery and that falls under the umbrella of the average workers compensation settlement process. Insurance companies may try to say that the injury was the worker’s fault or that they were under the influence of drugs or alcohol when it occurred. Your workers compensation lawyer can refute those claims and collect evidence to show your side of the story.
Hiring a workers compensation lawyer will help you get the settlement you need and deserve.