None wants to need a personal injury attorney. The problem is that many people do need them. There are about 100,000 deaths every year from medical errors, according to the Institute of Medicine. If you have been the victim of medical malpractice, you will need legal representation. If you are not sure where you can find information on lawyers, these tips should help. Finding a good attorney takes effort but is possible.
1. Decide what kind lawyer you need. Lawyers specialize in the same way that doctors do. When you are getting information on lawyers, you need to be looking in the right places for the right kinds of lawyers. Some personal injury lawsuits can be handled by a generalist but some may be more involved, especially if the injuries are severe or in the case of a wrongful death. You would not go to a cardiologist for your broken leg and the same principle applies here.
2. Talk to your friends and family. Given the litigious society we live in, the chances are good that you know someone who has used a personal injury lawyer at some point in their lives. One of the best ways to get good products and services is to get a personal recommendation from someone you trust. In fact, if you get the same recommendation from two people separate from each other, that is the best thing.
3. Talk to legal associations. Both the American Bar Associationandnbsp;and NOLOandnbsp;have websites that are set up with information on lawyers. If you are unsure what kind of lawyer you need, they can also explain your options and help you decide what the things is for you to do.
4. Interview at least a few law firms. The best way to get information on lawyers is to talk to them. All law firms offer a free first consultation to any prospective clients. This is a way for them to get to know and determine if you case has merit. There is a feeling out there that personal injury lawyers all want to file frivolous lawsuits but that could not be farther from the truth. This also a time for you to interview them. How do you feel talking to them? Do you think you can work with them? How about communicate with them? This person does not have to be your best friend but you will have to be able to communicate with them or the process will be a waste of time.
5. Go with someone local. You can get away with someone who is not in your area but you want to be able to see your attorney from time to time and that is hard if they practice in a different part of the country.
6. Ask the right questions. Here are some questions you need to ask. Here are a list of what to ask an attorney:
- What made you go into this practice? You do not want someone who is just punching a time card, they are going to have to fight for you and your rights so you want them to be passionate about what they do.
- How long have you practiced law? How long have you ben in this field?
- How much of your practice is devoted to this?
- How much experience do you have with my kind of case?
- What do you think the timeline will be?
- Who will be working on my case? Law firms hire a number of professionals such as legal assistants, secretaries and paralegals. They will handle a lot of the grunt work. You should be able to meet them.
- Who will be available when I have questions? You may not get to talk to your lawyer every time you have a question but they should be available some of the time.
- What is the fee structure? Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis so they do not receive a fee unless you win but there may be other charges for your case that you are responsible for. You need to be totally clear that you understand their policy before you hire anyone.
It may seem daunting but finding the right personal injury lawyer will make a real difference for you.